Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin 72 GPS Problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin 72 GPS Problem

I have 2 Garmin 72's and they are shutting down with a black line through the screen. Anyone been having this problem?? I thought it was a power problem but it still happens with fresh batteries . I think it might be some kind of programming fault. Any help would be appreciated !!
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is doing the same thing. Last Saturday I would take a battery out to clear it after several times it finally stayed on. When did yours start, the first time I noticed it was a few months ago and the same day a friend of mine said his 76 done the same thing but his hasnt done it since. Saturday is the third time for mine,I figured it was going bad. I am going to send Garmin email.

Post Thanks / Like

Greenwing,
    Mine started about a month ago. I was bragging to a friend that I have never had any problems and he said his was black lining and the next day it started happening to mine. Another friend is black lining also. I read a post somewhere else and they think it has something to do with the wass algorithim programing. I looked at Garmins web site and could not find anything on this issue. I might call and see what they say!!
    Life is Good !

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend that just called me yesterday and was telling me about the same problem with his 72. I have one also and would be lost if it went out tho I do have a printed copy of all my #'s. Let us know what you hear from Garmin.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I havent emailed them yet, I am going to try and call Monday. I would suggest downloading EasyGPS to back up your waypoints that way if they quit completely you can send them to a new unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Strange! My fishing buddy came in today and said his Garmin 72 had quit. There must be something in the air. (space) I guess it could be a virus or Aliens. He is looking to get another Garmin (76) this time. He likes the brand. I do wonder about all the trouble in just the last month or so to the units.

THE BANDIT
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bandit the other day my 76 was having accuracy problems. I have the accuracy displayed on the map page and it would go from 15ft to 49ft to 30ft it acted like it couldnt lock onto the signal. My 72 that same day was showing 7ft accuracy and never varied much at all. This makes me wonder if all Garmin units are having problems. I forgot to call today will try again tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to Mark with Garmin today. Garmin is aware of the problem and they are working on a fix. According to Mark the U.S. government reprogrammed the WASS satelite and it is creating algorithimic errors in the 72 & 76 Garmin GPS. The solution they told me is to disable the WASS setting and I told him that was not going to be much help with the accuracy. He said they were working on an update and to keep checking their web site the next few weeks. We shall see!!!! I have been taking the batteries out a few times till it stays on . I have an old sport trac that is working ok so far for backup.Hope this info helps.
    Life is Good !

Post Thanks / Like

My 72 acted up all day today and my 76 seemed to 20ft off everything I would have to start doing circles with my trolling motor to find my brushpiles today. If Garmin doesnt come up with a fix soon I am going to buy a Lowrance or Magellen to try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwing View Post
    I havent emailed them yet, I am going to try and call Monday. I would suggest downloading EasyGPS to back up your waypoints that way if they quit completely you can send them to a new unit.
    Will it work on a mac? So many thing are made only for micro$oft and will not wok on a mac. Were is the best place to get cables?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast