Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Circle hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Circle hooks

Anyone tried using circle hooks on bluegill? Read an article that recommended them and was wandering if they worked. Author claimed they kept gills from swallowing hooks. Input please.
    Wichita

Post Thanks / Like

You must have read the same article I did....Makes a lot of sense though.....Anything to keep a fish from swallowing a hook....I don't keep fish, so it's important to leave em alive....I wonder what's the best brand circle hook...He also mentioned the Octopus Circle Hook...DemoMan

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some online from EBAY for $14.00 for 1000 Eagle claw #8. They work great. The only thing is you cant't bend them out of snag. Good luck fishen and never be found wanting.
    A livewell is a casket for Fish

Post Thanks / Like

I like the small eagle claw kahle hooks for bream fishing.
    Fish on!:D

3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake - Co Founder

Post Thanks / Like

I started using them in saltwalter about 5 years ago.............. once you get used to the differnece I liked them.

Tried some in the river for catfish a couple of years ago and had the same success.

Bream fishing should be about the same............ you just have to remember not to snatch the hook put apply steady pressure so the hook can turn into the corner of the mouth............also you can save on bait because the hook is so small it don't take much to fill it up:rolleyes:

john
    Chuck the aggrivating stuff.......... Just go Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

i havent tried the circle hooks while gill fishing, but i always flatten the barb on the cricket hooks i use so you can easily back them out of the fish without much damage. im sure you already know this but i like to use the smallest float or cork i can get by with so i can really see the light biters.

Post Thanks / Like

Good deal. I bought the Gamakatsu Octopus Circle #8 and can't wait to try em!
    Wichita

Post Thanks / Like

I think the problem with gills swallowing the hook is not a "hook" problem but a "bite detection" problem. I generally use a #16 dry fly hook (about 1/4 inch long) and RARELY have a gill swallow it.

The key is to use a good float and shot it so that only the least amount of tip shows. Most of the floats sold in the U.S. are very poor at indicating bites.