Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Bait Tanks??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Homemade Bait Tanks??

Hello all, Im a newbie here,I have been reading yalls posts and learning alot and for that I Thank Yall..
    My question is Im getting ready to try and build me a bait tanks for my boats and was thinking about takin a 30-50 plastic drum and cutting it in half and building one.What I guess im trying to ask is does anybody have any experience building one this way and if so do you have any pictures and ideas on the best way to build it.
    Im wanting to make it where I can put it either in my 14' johnboat or in my 17' center console just dependeing on where I am fishing..
    Thank you in advance..

Post Thanks / Like

I know that some other folks can prolly answer more indepth questions but this was brought up a few weeks ago. I went back and found the thread for you.

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...highlight=tank

btw firefighter, nice to see another person from the upstate on here. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigA
    I know that some other folks can prolly answer more indepth questions but this was brought up a few weeks ago. I went back and found the thread for you.

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...highlight=tank

btw firefighter, nice to see another person from the upstate on here. lol
    heres a few photos of a bait tank i made out of a plastic 55 gallon drum. it works good at keeping bait alive.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by rango; 07-20-2005 at 01:03 PM.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Is the orange one his younger brother? lol

Post Thanks / Like

Is the orange one his younger brother? lol
    yeah,, i guess so.. i practised on that one before i done the big one... lol

Post Thanks / Like

Thank yall, I think I got and idea how im gonna do it after lookin at those pics. I wonder if I took the drum cut in half, then cut the top outts the unused half use if for the lid and then spray the whole outside with that spray insulation if that would work.Attach my bubbler to the top or the side.
    But the only thing that I still cant figure out exactly is how to build the filter system..Im feeling kinda slow this week...lol

Post Thanks / Like

If you find the 55 gal drums let us know where there was another poster was looking for them. If they arent too expensive I might get one as well.

Hey rango you think this set up is a better one then one in a 120 gallon cooler?

Post Thanks / Like

if you can get a 120 aerated and filtered, it should work. what i like about the drum is the barrel stands verticle instead of horozinal which shaves some floor space in the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow One thing .....

If you find the 55 gal drums let us know where there was another poster was looking for them. If they arent too expensive I might get one as well.

Hey rango you think this set up is a better one then one in a 120 gallon cooler?
    ....to remember...if you plan on keeping shad alive, then tank needs to be round...or else shad will run in corners and die.. :rolleyes: .....that's why you never see anything but round professional built tanks........
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

just an Idea but can you vertically split the tank in half so you could put lets say crappie minnows on the right hand side and the big stripper minnows on the left hand side. Or would this allow them bump there noses on the flat portion and kill themselves?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast